[RC] A virtual ride on the OD - recent photos of the trail - Flora Hillman

For all those who were bummed out about the cancellation of the OD (like me) ... and for those out west who have never seen the trail... we have some photos to share with you from three trail-scouting rides taken these past several weeks as volunteers worked to clear and make the trail ready by June 14th.  The mountain laurel was just beginning to burst forth, and the scenery was overwhelmingly gorgeous!

The first set is the first 10 miles to and from the 4-H Center to McCoy's Ford where the riders cross the Shenandoah.  Taken on a sunny day (more typical of June in Virginia than this freaky rainy weather) you can breath deep of the glorious views of both the Blue Ridge and the Massanutten Mountains.  This is a special treat for the 25 milers, since they get to enjoy the views and only have one climb over the mountain to get to the river, and one climb back.

The second set was taken during two other trail-checking/clearing rides -- one set in the rain (so, what else is new?) up Sherman's Gap -- the final climb of the 75 and 100 milers before descending to the river crossing at McCoy's Ford, and the other set at the farthest most point for the 100 milers at Hebron Gap (about 45 miles or so from the start) where they descend from the Massanutten Trail down to the vet check at Foster's Landing (alongside the Shenandoah).

I hope to ride a portion of the trail tomorrow with Susan -- if we can get across Passage Creek below Sherman's Gap, that is.   Just last night northern Virginia was deluged (yet again) with almost 2" of rain.  The Shenandoah Valley is currently under a flood warning, and we're scheduled for more thunderstorms and heavy rains again this afternoon.  So, the ankle-high creek may be running up to the shoulder level.

But, if we luck out, and we make it across, and the sun comes out, (Saturday is also under watch for more thunderstorms in the afternoon) I'll be able to get some decent shots of the scenery that the 50, 75, and 100 milers would have enjoyed ... in person!

A final note -- to all those OD volunteers who worked so hard to get the trail ready and cleared for the ride --- you are beyond priceless in my estimation  (after having leaped, climbed over, or bush-whacked around numerous fallen trees on the trail two weeks earlier, or fought my way through massive overgrowth,  that would have "magically" disappeared in time for the ride).  You  are the greatest!!  Thanks!!!!!

Flora Hillman
AERC #30079