Re: [RC] Vet phobia, gender bias... - Lysane Cree

A couple of people have brought up the nature of Arabs
as the reason for developing a vet phobia when a horse
has been treated roughly...Being the person who
brought up the topic, just thought I would mention
that my filly is a Paint (registered)...but she sure
fits the description of Arabs in her reactions and her
vet phobia. It can be probably be said for most horses
that are smart, sensitive and reactive. They WILL
remember. I found the latest post interesting in that
its not the sex or height or smell of a person that
the horse remembers, but the rough treatment. My filly
had never seen this particular vet but she was very
clear that she didn't want anything to do with him
before he even had a chance to touch her. I think its
probably the "whole package" that my horse remembers
rather than the individual. My filly definitely seems
to be associating/expecting rough treatment from a
certain type of individual.
She has never been so upset about a stranger trying to
touch her, although she is wary. She has not pitched a
fit when the farrier has come over to trim her
although she is occasionally a little funny about
picking up one of her legs. Only a vet gets this
reaction out of her. And we could see the changes from
one minute to the next - vet tries to touch her she
pitches a fit, I try to touch her she quiets down and
stands still. Vet tries again, she jumps back, rears
and hits her head. I approach again, she quiets down
and stands still.

I am surprised that none of the vets out there have
commented on the issue.

Lysane
and Mae West Holliday