Re: [RC] The next generation - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Egypt's flirtation with endurance (I wish it had been more) was rather disappointing in some respects, but for the first two years we had a group of young vet students come to our rides to work with the experienced vets. Watching these kids grow made up for all the damage that the UAE did to the riders. They came, shy and insecure, but 3 rides later having survived sandstorms while walking horses in and waiting in the middle of the desert with a drip to allow a horse to get in (told you it ruined the riders!), sleeping on pool chairs to be there at 4 am, these were some wonderful kids. A great gang and I was so proud of them. One has gone on to be able to work in the UAE with the foreign vets to get some real equine experience. There is nothing in the world you can do that is better than to open someone's eyes.

Maryanne
Cairo, Egypt