[RC] Ft Howes (windshield/bug) Long - Teresa Van Hove

Fort Howes was  a really pretty ride and I hear the last loop that
Grey and I didn't do was the best one :(.  Way life goes.  2 weeks
ago we only did the 30 at Black Hills and Grey handled it great.  I
told a rider there I was thinking of trying a slow 50 at Fort Howes
and I heard her say its an easy 50.  Got me motivated to attend when
I was dithering and thats a good thing cuz now I'm motivated to come
back again - prepared for the challenge ; but I'd say 'its an easy
50 to ride slow.'

After 3 days of rain it got pretty hot on Sunday -it snuck up on me
though and didn't feel really hot, &  I hadn't gotten my sun shirt
packed and had a denim shirt over a tee to ward off sunburn. I
'spose the humidity was high after all the rain and I'm not used to
high humidity, I didnt drink as much as my usual and I was not
putting any extra e-lytes into Grey.  And we both failed the CRI at
the 2nd vet check at 35 miles.  He was 60/eighty-something.  Vetting
was right after the P/R and he'd recovered fast, but still thats
quite a spike  & I had to put my head down right there, still
talking to the vet to make sure I didn't faint.  Being a big
international 100 they had an NP there and they ushered me to one of
the tents to sit in the shade and had her check me - she said my
pulse was 110.  I Always knew its a good thing the rider doesn't
have to pass the CRI's! But she said I really shouldn't go back
out.

I Still took Grey back at the end of the hold for a re-check as the
vet had recommended before I got light headed, and Grey was 56/56.
(I Had some else trot him for me)  So I knew Grey was going to be
fine for riding another day, but with no more progressive recovery
than that he shouldnt do another 15 miles then, even if I was fit,
which I kwew I wasn't (but was a surprise a bit later when the NP
insisted on checking my pulse again and it was still over 100)

So, we'll be back,  I'm looking forward to doing the Chico Basin LD
on Shade on the 21st and will see how the rest of the summer works
out.

Cheers and safe trails to all,
Teresa and Grey Moun and Shade