[RC] Carb thing again - Roger Rittenhouse

Well - I would suggest just OATS if you need it for weight or energy as a
post ride build back protocol.

Feeding any 'carb'  GRAIN to a horse before a ride - who IS NOT use to it
is setting you up for a problem.
Susan will go into details.
If you horse is UNDERWEIGHT  - then feed FAT and some 'light grain at home.
If you really want to increase the weight try any of the premixed endurance
feeds

If all you want is to increase energy fuel during a ride - feed lots of HAY
before and some fat, then at the ride hay and some OATS  if not on a normal
grain diet.
Introduce the horse to small amounts of grain  1/2 a one pound coffee can,
then work up each day to what ever it takes to increase the weight and
desired energy.

I really never recommend CORN as the major grain  carb supplement. I do use
it but I get STEAM FLAKED corn. I never feed WHOLE corn, I will use cracked
corn IF I really have to.
I feed a basic feed COB  50 pnd OATS, 25 pnd BARLEY, 25 pnd STEAM FLAKED
CORN

If I need more for the hard workers, I use one of the NO -PELLET  grain
beet pulp fat mixes.

I normally do not use a sweet feed.  OF course at rides I need to feed what
ever he will eat.. but thats another problem

Of course BEET PULP will do just fine for the bulk. Suggest a 3 pnd coffee
can of wet BP per day at home.

Oh well Susans response is already on the way - do what ever she says
hehehe.

LET ME PUT IN THIS STATEMENT.. DO NOT FEED A CONCENTRATED 'CARBO'
SUPPLEMENT at home or a ride UNTIL YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Feed HAY- GRASS,  BP, light grain

Roger R

From: "Stewart, Carrie" <carrie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Good source of Carbs

What is a good natural source for carbohydrates for horses?  I have an
'Air Fern' and we are just starting training.  I want to be prepared if
at the end of our first couple rides he seems to run out of gas since he
isn't fed anything but pasture.  Would feeding some carbs several days
before a ride be beneficial or should I go another way?

V-MAX Equine HRM
Equine Performance Technology
800 655 8629  423 253 3882 Phone or Fax
www.vmaxept.com