[RC] Old Dominion canceled - Michael Maul

In case it hasn't already been officially posted - the AERC office received the following.

Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 2:01 PM
Subject: Old Dominion --- IMPORTANT UPDATE ***

HI,
It is regrettable we ( the board of the OD ) have decided that this years Old Dominion Rides are CANCELLED.
The river is simply *too high to use*, the bridge was under water as of last afternoon, and potential for more rain could easily run water back over it even if the river did drop, ( if river did go down it would still be too high to use McCoys' crossing, and the Park did not want us traveling through their land - too wet. Alternate use of road deemed unsafe )
We explored option of using Fort Valley Stables. Having riders trailer to start and finish there, but in the end we judged this a logistical nightmare, having to shuttle crews into areas that are too wet to get trucks in and out of; people having to travel hour to and from 4 H to Fort VAlley, to camp, start ride, for meals, etc. THat and the ground conditions ( not safe in areas, with being so wet ), and decided it was just too much to put on ride and do it well.
I thank all of you for your support, and those who were going to help.- Thank you -- I hope you will be available next year, and/or Fort Valley Rides. in OCT ( last weekend of OCT.)
Any questions please contact me. Stephanie