[RC] Pyramid Challenge 2003 Part one - Maggie Mieske

Impossible Dreams or

"When Camels Fly" by Maggie Mieske

The Pyramid Challenge, Kentucky Horse Park, Lexington, KY--June 7, 2003

Kentucky is horse country. No doubt about that. The first week of June it becomes EGYPTIAN ARABIAN horse country. The Pyramid Society hosts the Egyptian Event at Kentucky Horse Park and for the third year has also hosted the Pyramid Challenge endurance ride managed by Tommy Ticktin. "Event" hardly begins to describe the privilege of riding in Kentucky Horse Park let alone the thrill of being able to ride your Egyptian bred Arabian stallion in the main arena during the awards presentation!

We drove through the night on Wednesday to arrive first thing Thursday morning at the Park. Thick dew still hovered on the grass and we definitely got our feet wet! (Addition to "must have" list: muck boots!). We were exhausted and the horses were glad for the reprieve from travelling. But we had all day now to tank them up on beet pulp and water and carrots and apples. Max looked a little tucked up as I had not prepared him for the journey. Originally it was to have been Mykal who turned into Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde a few days before our departure and was left at home to his unstable metamorphoses. We had 4 mares in heat and only Malik was allowed the privilege of breeding one. Put poor Mykal right into a head spin. I do believe the vet appointment will take place soon to attend to the removal of the jewels. Anyway, it didn't take long to get lots of water into both of them and by the time Malik and Max vetted in on Friday, they had all As in that department!!

Maggie Ticktin is the hostess of hostesses...we were greeted almost immediately with her smile and hearty welcome on Thursday. Being early gave us the advantage of being able to choose from many great spots in the middle of the steeplechase field. We chose one on the inside hedge of the track very near the porta johns (an important consideration!). Maggie also had delivered to every porta john spot a very large garbage dumpster for which we were also very thankful!!!

Not long after our arrival, we received a new neighbor. And guess what? She was a Ridecamp friend!!! Barbara Marcius! AND she is friends with several of our Michigan cohorts and some of our other Ridecamp cohorts and basically, it was like renewing an old friendship and picking up where we had left off. What a blessing and a joy this innocent and seemingly coincidental meeting turned out to be!!! Throughout the weekend I met people everywhere who knew who I was or at least recognized my name. How scary!!! I met Patsy Gowen who is a lurker on Ridecamp. And Susan Kasemeyer and Roger Rittenhouse. Teddy Lancaster of Running Bear showed up and I got a new helmet and a beautiful silver biothane halter/bridle for Malik. I hadn't seen her since my first ride at Wolverine in 1998 though we have had contact through Ridecamp. Finally also got to meet Connie Caudill (we had stuff to discuss about National Championship rides and she is a doll and an inspiration to me!). I know I met MANY others whose names escape me...it was a highly charged and emotional weekend for me and I am still reeling and exhausted so I hope if I forget someone they will remind me about meeting them and then forgive me for forgetting it!!! :)

Malik's breeders, Barb and Larry Ward of Mashallah Arabians had travelled down with us in their car and showed up again on Friday morning, rested and ready to find out what endurance was all about. They had ridden competitive rides many years ago in Michigan. Endurance is a new game for them. Fellow Egyptian Arabian breeders, Adam and Maria Malinowski also made an appearance with a show of support for us and learned a thing or two as well. It was great to see friends from home! The horses got a nice bath at the wash rack (discovered Malik DOES have a silver tail after we bleached it) and the humans also were able to have a nice shower before turning in for the night before the ride.