[RC] Hives/Rabies/Neurological Symptoms - Stephanie E Caldwell

I'm cross posting this, I really need some answers on how to handle this! I'm not sure all of Star's problem are related, and I could very well be over reacting. My vet's coming out tonight, that's the earliest he could work me in. :(

05/02/03 -- Star got hives from nose to tail. She had a beehive in her Roundbale, assumed she got swarmed. Gave her Benedryl for three days and it cleared right up. She had a slight fever (100.4) with this round, increased HR and was really itchy.

06/01/03 I was out riding and we got attacked by two dogs. My horse got bit by one, but it didn't appear to break the skin. I didn't think much about it, I knew we had a pack of dogs. She also fell later that day crossing a creek. When I got back to the barn she appeared fine.

06/05/03 Went out for a short trail ride in the evening. Star seemed very timid, she felt like she was scared the ground was going to fall out from under her. I chalked it up to the bad experience at the creek Sunday and didn't think much of it. She was terrified of the small creek we had to cross. She felt slightly off in her front right shoulder, stumbled more than usual. I didn't ask her to canter, and we only rode an hour.

06/07/03 I stalled Star Friday night because of the thunderstorms coming through. Saturday morning I grazed her bareback and she seemed fine. She was scarred to go back into the barn, but it was muddy at the door and we were going from light outside to dark inside.

06/08/03 Star still seemed off, she just wasn't right. Couldn't put my finger on what was wrong... Same thing on Monday, 06/09/03

06/10/03 I went to the barn this morning and found Star curled up against her water bucked scratching her face on the dirt. She was covered in hives from girth up, lame in both front feet and generally lethargic. Temp of 101.4. She had minor to moderate Neuro symptoms (I know the neuro tests from when she had EPM) and just wasn't herself. Slightly off her feed today.

The dog that bit her is Rabid, they tested him and told us today. She's been vaccinated for Rabies, had WNV vaccine last year. Any ideas what might be wrong? I've been a nervous wreck all day. This was my first horse, only horse for now and I'm really attached to her. I've probably gained 20 lbs today from eating everythign in sight and it hasn't helped my nerves one bit! (But that $5.00 piece of homemade chocolate cake and latte sure was good LOL)

Steph