Re: [RC] Was LD /Completion Awards - Heidi Smith

The biggest
thing about awards, it would be nice if it would be
something we could use.  Alot of times I get so many
mugs, I give them to Goodwill.  I don't think ride
managers should spend money on things people are going
to get rid of.

You can't please everybody.  Not everybody wears T-shirts.  Some of us love
mugs, some don't.  What is nice is if different rides give different
stuff--and then at some point during the year, you're apt to get something
you like.  I like T-shirts--but I can only wear so many at once.  (Time I
started riding again--my wardrobe is getting sparse...  <g>)  One of the
most useful completion awards I have is a duffel bag with the ride logo on
it--I use it almost every time I travel.  My bridles hang on a completion
award made of welded horseshoes (backing of shoes welded together, with
hooks made of half-shoes welded on--all nicely spray painted and printed
with the ride name and the year--easy to paint back over if you have too
many).  I have a couple of good brushes with the ride name wood-burned on
the handles.  I've gotten halters, buckets, muck buckets, lead ropes--you
name it, they are all useful.  Got a dandy T-shirt yesterday, but got a
really nifty tote bag 2 weeks ago.  I still use the purple rain poncho that
Pam Haynes gave out a few years back at Purple Passion--never claimed to be
a "purple" person, but it's a darn good rain poncho!  (Actually, I think my
hubby won that one, and I absconded with it.)  She gave stethoscopes one
year, too--never do seem to have too many stethoscopes.  I did that once
several years ago, too, and got more positive response to it than just about
anything I ever gave out.  Much as I like T-shirts, it would be a pretty
dull world if that's the ONLY thing ride managers gave out as completion
awards!

Heidi