[RC] [Guest] Shawnee....have you voted yet??? - Ridecamp Guest

Sharon King gatrail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Even if the numbers are skewedthere are still more folks against us than
for ushow do we unite???  Anyone out there got any ideas on how equestrians
can come together in support of "Horses on Trails??"  Throughout the country
areas are being closed or limited to horses - there are pockets of us all
over who are trying to make a difference but our numbers are few compared to
the thousands of trail riders, and we have been unable to come together as a
united voiceand we are NOT BEING HEARD.

Mountain Biking only became popular in the last 15-20 years, horses have
been on trails for centuries.  Yet when you do a search for trail advocacy
on the internet mountain bike sites are the first to come up.   Why can they
do it and we can't?  What are the differences between our two groups. we
both enjoy our sport on trails...why have they become the experts.getting
things done, opening new trails, etc?  Everyone one else seems to be able to
organize (especially our opposition) why can't the equestrain community get
it together)????

Yes, there may be more folks that own bikes than horseshowever, there are
still hundreds of thousands of folks who trail ride throughout the country.
One thing I see is that equestrians tend to be a reactive group (in general)
instead of proactive.  Many trail riders and equestrian organizations state
that they support trails and equestrian accessbut how many actually make
this one of their main focuses.  How many groups or individuals are members
of the United States Equestrian Trails Coalition, how many have attended the
Southeastern Equestrian Trails Conference, the Ohio Valley Equestrian Trails
Conference, or the National Trails Symposium?  Does your group have monthly
workdays to construct and maintain trails and are YOU present on those
workdays? Has the group you are involved with developed a working
relationship with land mangers to promote and build equestrian trails and do
you support these efforts physically and/or financially?  Are you or your
organization a member of your states Horse Council and encouraging them to
support "Horses on Trails" and our continued access?  How are we as
individuals or as a group educating the uniformed and future equestrians on
proper trail etiquette and the protection of the lands we ride on?

So many questionsdoes anyone have any answers?  We must start communicating
and coming together in order to make a difference.

As our cities and population continues to grow and consume all available
private lands - all that will be left in the future are our public lands, if
we continue to loose access to these where will the future trail riders be
able to go?

Ask yourselves these questions before you say this is not my problemIll
let the other guy worry about this for meall I want to do is ride.  Well
guess what, YOU are the other guy...and you must make this your problem - if
you want to continue to enjoy the trails with your equine companion.

Make a Difference... GET INVOLVED THE WORLD IS RUN BY THOSE THAT SHOW UPAND
ARE INFORMED

Sharon King gatrail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx