[RC] equine poll - Linda B. Merims

Jonni Jewel said:

>I would love to find out what group against
>horses in natural areas has such a good
>communication, to get so many to
>vote in this little poll.

My bet is someone contacted one of the big
Sierra Club or Wilderness Society lists.
That'd do it, even without writing a script
to "stuff" the ballot box.

There's always more of them than there
are of us.  In Massachusetts, groups like
Massachusetts Audubon and the Sierra Club
can go into a meeting of the Board of
the Department of Environmental management
and claim 30,000 members statewide.  The
largest single trails club in Massachusetts
can walk in and claim...600 members.

>Makes me wonder
>if we as a horse community CAN
>join together to fight against those who
>want to take away our riding areas.

This activity has nothing to do with "joining
together to fight against those..."  As
some of us have been trying to explain,
it is a meaningless, pointless exercise.
The most useful thing anyone could do
is write the Daily Register a letter-to-the
editor pointing this out.

>As mentioned, this poll does not have
>any official capacity, but it is
>telling me (and maybe some others)
>that horse people might not be as strong
>as they think they are.

Who thought horse people were "strong"?  As a group,
horse people are astoundingly and extraordinarily
unorganized, politically oblivious and naive.
Heck, watching the Belmont, even the *horse racing*
industry, with a billion dollar industry at stake, only
organized on a national level four years ago!

Actually, the horse people around Shawnee National
Forest are some of the most organized and politically
active horse people there are.

My opinion is:

Horsemen in each state should form a PAC to lobby
for their interests at the state level.  501(c)(3)'s
are all well and good and have their place and purpose,
but nothing works as well as full-time professional
lobbyists.

The National horse PAC is the American Horse Council.
Every local "saddle club" should join the AHC, not
just the big state Horse Councils.  AHC needs $$
to hire lobbyists and that's where the money comes
from.

And remember, this "poll" is in response to the fact
that the National Forest Service has made a decision
in favor of horsemen using these areas.  This is
a reversal of the way Shawnee's local superintendant
has been managing his forest.  I suspect the word has
come down from on high in the Department of Agriculture that
the "environmentalist" position that has ruled the
roost during the Clinton administration is now in
eclipse and more credence and standing must be
given to all recreational groups, including horsemen.

After all, this country is more about "rights of
the minority" than it is about "majority rules."

Linda B. Merims
Massachusetts, USA