[RC] treatment for Chryptorchid / laproscopic surgury - Jonni Jewell

I bought a 4 year old gelding, that we thought had been gelded without any
problems as a 2 year old. But he started showing signs of being "proud cut"
the longer we owned him. Very stallion like behavior towards other horses.
Had a blood work done, and was informed he had a high testosterone level,
and possibly a retained testicle. His behavior was worst than many
stallions, as he would call, drop, and act horrible any time he saw ANY new
horse. (and all the schooling just did not seem to work)  Trail rides were
NO fun. He got in with a mare once, and bred her. (but of course was
sterile) I was concerned on the normal surgical procedure to go looking for
a retained testicle, as they is a high risk involved of complications,
especially if they really have to look for it. Often they are on the table a
long time, and I was told a high risk of bleeding. I then found out of a
newer procedure using a laparoscope.

"Laparoscopy is an endoscopic procedure where a small, fibre-optic, video
camera and surgical instruments are introduced into the abdomen through a
small incision. This permits the observation of the inside of the abdomen
and allows for the performance of abdominal surgeries without a large
incision into the abdominal cavity. The main advantages are the small
incisions, minimal postoperative pain and the fact that the horse can return
to exercise very quickly. Laparoscopy can be used to remove retained
ABDOMINAL testes in horses"

I found a vet in North Texas to do this procedure. The cost was about $600,
and that included 1 overnight stay. The vet found the testicle way up near
his abdomen, and it was almost the size of a grapefruit. As I lead the horse
out of the vet clinic, he walked past a mare, and did not blink and eye.
Instant cure. I was amazed how quickly he became a "gelding" after having a
screaming maniac who ran around showing his wears to ALL the horses
(geldings, mares, he did not care)

Here are a few links on the procedure. Talk to your vet. I would wait to see
if the testicle DID drop on its own, but would highly recommend this
procedure if the vet felt it was an option.
Jonni

http://www.equiworld.net/uk/horsecare/erc/laparoscopy.htm

http://www.csen.com/anesthesia/horses.htm

http://vmthpub.vetmed.wisc.edu/la_services/surg/arth_surg.htm