Re: [RC] Sugar in Electrolytes(was Electrolytes: Are "AccuLytes" OK?) - Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

Note that one has to be careful on the amount as it takes about
twice as much Perform and Win by volume to get the
same amount of electrolytes as say Enduromax.

Sue G. - would be interested to get your views and a more
technical explanation.
Gee, Stagg, I don't need to provide a more technical explanantion, yours
was great.  The bottom line is just that yes, you need a glucose molecule
present to transport sodium from the gut into the bloodstream.  Chloride
comes along as an also-ran and where salt goes, water goes---so fluids get
pulled along as well.

I think where people get all tangled up is that while glucose is critical to
sodium transport, it doesn't absolutely HAVE to be syringed in exactly the
same mouthful as the e'lytes, nor does it have to be a precise maltodextrin
or sucrose or whatever.  Any simple sugar will do from virtually anything
vaguely sweet or starchy, and that can be provided from applesauce, pancake
syrup, some green grass, a little grain, whatever.  So if you're using one
of the 'no sugar' elyte mixes, then just make sure there's some sugar source
going down at roughly the same time (say, just during the same vet
check---if it's being syringed at a quick stop, then yeah, throw in some
applesauce or something).

On the flip side of that---stomach contents move into the small intestine at
different rates based on how concentrated or dilute the contents are.  If
elytes are very concentrated, then it'll just sit there for awhile until
enough fluids are shifted to allow outflow.  So let's say you just syringed
in an elyte dose into two horses---one of the elytes is a 'no sugar' product
and the other includes sugar.  Let's say both have to sit for awhile until
it's diluted enough to move on.  The more concentrated mix with higher salt
concentrations is going to be more irritating to the gastric mucosa, and
thus potentially more prone to forming ulcers.  Sugar does not irritate
gastric mucosa and the lower salt concentrations is IMO going to be easier
on the stomach.

As I've said before, I'm a big advocate of syringing horses with elytes
throughout a ride.  I won't argue with Heidi's comments that syringed elytes
might be contributing to ulcer formation, but IMO, the key factor is
concentration and frequency.  If the amount dosed is small and frequent
rather than lrge and sporadic, I think the risk is minimal.  Especially if
all the other ducks are in a row to keep adequate water intake going and
plenty of other feeds moving through the system to keep everything from
slowing down.

JMO.

Susan G