Re: [RC] award perspectives - m l

If you want to give something other than a completion
award, like a thank you for coming gift, I guess that
is up to you.  But AERC rules state a completion aware
is for those who complete.  The whole purpose of
endurance riding is to become a better horse person.
Not to make people feel good when they don't complete.
It does effect our sport when people take a carefree
attitude about rules etc. If you want to have a nice
trail ride, then have one, but endurance racing has
rules and we need to follow them.  They may not be
perfect, but they have purpose.

Lindy
--- Dot Wiggins <dotwgns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So you successfully finished an endurance ride.
Great.   How does the fact that your buddy who
didn't finish gets to wear the same T shirt lessen
your accomplishments?
Your name will be listed in ride results, you and
your horse will get your mileage credits, perhaps
points if that applies.  Your buddy is down there
with the DNF list.  You get the glory, both of you
get to try again.

As a RM I have tried to up the awards as distance
goes up, but there is usually one item that everyone
gets.   That small award, consolation prize, what
ever, has been the key to quite a few folks not
giving up, coming back to try again.
Many new riders are so tickled to be able to say "I
was there".   How does that hurt the rest of the
riders?

Lighten up a little.  No need to rain on their
parade, doesn't hurt you a bit.