Re: [RC] treatment for Chryptorchid stud colt? - Dana B.

Ridecamp Digest <ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Anyone out there have any experiences with surgical treatment for
> gelding a Chryptorchid foal?

I had a bilateral cryptorchid.  My vet suggested I wait, so I did until he was 14 months old.  He was not mean, but he was very aggresive, and in hindsight he was always tense.  I couldn't stand him anymore so I got a second opinion from a vet who recommended I go ahead with the surgery as they rarely descend after a year if they haven't appeared by then.

The surgery was done by Dr. Greg Fellers at Loomis Basin, a  vet known by many on this list.  The surgery went splendidly, and recovery was easier than the normal castration I'd been through with another colt a couple of months before.  Best of all, I brought a different horse home.  I kept waiting for his old obnoxious self to reappear, but we're a year down the road now and he's the sweetest horse I have.

I don't imagine every colt shows such a personality change, but with mine it was very dramatic and immediate.  There's no way his testosterone levels fell that rapidly, so all I can postulate is that he was in some discomfort caused by the retained testicles.  In hindsight, I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did.

Dana

and Mikey, Tevis 2010?

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx