Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 7:44 AM
Subject: [RC] poll on equestrian land access-VOTE YES_PLEASE-NOW

"Polls" like this are meaningless.  They aren't "polls" at all.
If anything, they are just measures of how large each faction's
email network is.

Everybody knows they are meaningless:  the newspaper holding
the "poll," and most particularly the land managers making the
decision (which evidently has already been made and
was favorable to equestrians).

The Shawnee National Forest has been a bloodbath for years
now between one particularly militant group of hikers who are
willing to use lawsuits against the Forest Service as their
chief weapon whenever it makes a decision for another user
group that they don't approve of.

Yeah, sure, I'll go to the page and click the box, but I don't
think it accomplishes anything real.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@xxxxxxxxx
Massachusetts, USA