[RC] Just quick cute horse story - Kathie Ford

after writing a post about what my horse taught me (great thread huh!)  I decided I had to honor my oldest daughters horse (now my youngest daughters horse) Dolly.  She is a special horse.

She's little in size but way big in heart.  She is the type of horse who doesn't want to lose her rider.  When Tiffany would ride her bareback (just learning) Dolly would turn her head and nip at her feet to keep her on!  Tiff would straighten up and off they'd go.

But the story I promised....I had a friend visit who had ridden a little in the past.  Even went on a cattle round up and thought she was in the movie City Slickers!!

Anyway, she wanted to go for a little ride where we live.  So, I put her on Dolly as she is great with novices and would take good care of her.

Well, we walked down the trail talking and having a nice time. However, I would turn and check my friend to see if she was okay.  When I did this I realized that due to my friends build (long waisted-short legged) her center of gravity seemed not good.  So I decided we'd continue just at the walk to be considerate and careful as I really wanted her to enjoy the ride and the  peaceful outdoors.  She had just lost both her parents to cancer a few months prior and this was a special trip for her. I wanted it to be special.

Anyway, Dolly was being a very good girl, but as we came to a section of trail that had a minor "dip" in it Dolly took a few little hop type steps down and up.  I'm talking only a distance of about ten feet.

Well, as I turned to make sure my friend was okay, I watched in horror as she slowly fell off.  Went off balance in kinda slow motion, sideways, sideways more, even more, and plop!!  On the ground she was!  Fortunately, her fall was a slow "process" and she landed in a soft grassy spot!  I knew didn't have the greatest back either so I was concerned.

She said she was okay thank goodness! The really cute part was Dolly's reaction.  The look on her face was truly surprised too!  She stuck her head down and sniffed my friend, and her huge arab eyes said "I'm so sorry, are you okay?"  I mean you could really tell this horse was upset!!

She didn't move an inch either.  Stood right next to her.  We got my friend up and remounted and because of Dolly's reaction I told my friend Terrie that she'll have no problem going home but Dolly will walk v..e..r..y.. slowly!!

Well off we went and I heard Terri burst out laughing! I asked if she was okay and she was in hysterics because she said she could hardly get Dolly to walk she was being so careful!  She could feel that Dolly didn't want to lose her again!  I thought it was nice that my friend could sense that from her!!

Anyway, Dolly is a real Dolly! She can be a pistol too, but she is a real gem to us!!

take care....

kathie