RE: [RC] ] gait vs leg stress - Marlene Moss

<"We've" or "You've"? He sounds happy. >g<  I certainly wouldn't get rid
of my horse for something that "might" happen.  Have you ridden his
horse? Sometimes the way the rider rides or the saddle fits makes the
horse more comfortable at a canter.  Your horse might be a cantering
horse under him.  I've found that with couples that ride it's best to
treat each other as strangers and ride your own horse.  Much better for
marital harmony.  Think about it. He sells his horse and gets a horse
that can trot with your mare. Hates it. Who is he going to be mentally
complaining about the whole time he's UNenjoying that horse down the
trail? :-P  Just make sure the horse swaps leads occassionally. Or what
about this, *you* train at his 9mph now and then?  My guess is that in
competition you shouldn't ride together anyway.>

We're really not into competition for anything other than having marked
trails in beautiful areas (and porta potties <g>) and spending time
together.  We'd never give this horse up since anyone can ride him and
it's a very comfy ride.  But it's definitely horse difference, not rider
difference for the trot vs canter with these two.

We have the room for more horses and my husband would actually prefer a
bit more of a speed demon.  I try to keep us slower because I worry
about the long term health of the gelding.  So if it is not a general
problem for the horse to end up cantering a large portion of a ride,
then maybe I shouldn't worry.  He already has a permanently popped bursa
at the sesamoid which doesn't cause any lameness and the vets don't
worry about.  Makes me nervous though!  I've always been a slower rider
and I'm maybe just being overly cautious as we move up in distance and
speed.

But I'd rather keep this horse sound for easier rides or for friends and
family if we're likely to stress him too much on the rides.  And I know
this horse wouldn't do the ride alone - tried once.  Hubby didn't enjoy
it much either, even though he did like having me as crew!

I'd really like to hear if people have thoughts on the general stress on
the legs of cantering versus trotting.  I can slow my horse down (which
she may not appreciate) but then we end up at a back and forth
trot/canter with this gelding which is harder on the rider I think.

Thanks!
Marlene