[RC] Wine Country Ride - sandy . l . holder

Hi All,

This past Saturday's Wine Country ride was quite enjoyable and the weather
turned out to be picture perfect (not as hot as we all thought it might
be).  I could probably write a ton on ride management (they were terrific)
as well as the vets (we love you) but I want to share a particularly
interesting albeit funny story.  For those of you who don't know me - and
being a relative newbie its probably a lot of you - Tally was rescued from
near starvation in Oct '01.  He's a handsome ~15 hand grey arab gelding
who we (riding partners, mentors and trainers) have put a bit of time into
to "get there", and "there", this past weekend, was the 30 mile ride in
Napa.  It's only the start of his second year in endurance, and although
at 14 its probably a bit later than most, he's been coming along
wonderfully and just keeps getting better.  Keep in mind that when I
purchased him, he was a nervous wreck and still is at times, so he's
really progressing well.

We checked into the ride location about 12:30 p.m. on Friday, set up camp
and put out his lunch - hay, water and a few extras to entice him -  and
to get him to do the EDPP things that all endurance horses have to.  Well,
he wasn't eating everything in site, so we went for a walk to stretch his
legs and see if he'd drink better out of the horse trough, as he's gotten
so good at doing on the trails.  On the way, back, he found someone's
leftover oat hay, and although I typically don't let him eat things he
doesn't get regularly at home, I'd found at his last training ride that he
particularly liked oat hay (or better yet, the hay that my girlfriend had
brought for her horse), so I let him pick at it for awhile before we
headed back to our site (directly across from where we were).

Later in the day, as a treat, I decided to grab a few handfuls of the oat
hay and take it back to him. . . and here's where the good stuff begins
and where you really can tell that there are wonderful people out there!
I'd just sat down in my camp chair with a friend when a lady from across
the way, cautiously approached.  You could actually say she was a bit
sheepish.  Well, she introduced herself and apologized profusely about not
wanting to interfere with my horse, but wanted to know if I needed any hay
(maybe I didn't have any, and endurance people being so good to each
other, she wanted to make sure I was ok).  She and her family and friends
and seen me pick up some of the oat hay and take it back to my boy. . .
and given that our bale of grass hay was behind the trailer, they thought
I might not have any and if so, were more than willing to share!!   Joyce
- you're a wonderful person and so are your family and friends.  She
shared a flake, which I promptly took back and he devoured.  As it turns
out, when we were done with the ride, and my boy had his pick of anything
and everything (hay, a sloppy mixture of beet pulp, etc., even a warm
wheat mash) all he wanted was some more of that good oat hay they'd
brought!!!  Talk about a funny situation (and a reminder to bring some
with me in the future).  Well, all I can say is I'm still learning - and,
well, feed them what they'll eat (always with a measure of caution) but
don't be too surprised if it's what your neighbor's horse is eating.  Oh,
and one other thing, be thankful for all the wonderful folks you meet out there!!!!

Sandy & Tally (who couldn't imagine, after he'd turned his nose up at it,
why that beautiful Morgan at the vet check would actually eat his sloppy
beet pulp mixture)