Re: [RC] marking tape and cloths pins - Lynn Kinsky

If you do tie your marking tape to clothes pins, to mark trail, don't bother
if it is in an area that has a lot of pleasure riders, hikers, or public
access. Seems that the ease to unclip those clothes pins is just beyond the
self control of some folks. I have seen more trails UNMARKED before a ride
that used clothes pins, than rides that tied direct to the trees etc.  We
have even had clothes pin attached ribbons unclipped, and redirected down a
wrong trail. <sigh> Folks who do that crap rate right up there with those
who create computer viruses. Don't they have something better to do???????

Jonni

That's the beauty of where we put on the two NATRC rides and last weekend's endurance ride -- it's all private ranches and the few miles of public trail is on a horse-only trail. Our problem is cattle and deer -- both the ribbons and the clothes pins seem quite tasty to them. In chapparal and scrub oak areas it's hard to get stuff up high enough so they can't eat it, so we also use dolomite (swimming pool filter material) on the ground at key turns. Of course, if all else fails the riders can consult their maps, which are topo maps with the course marked on it <g>.

But I agree -- we had plenty of sabotage when we were still putting the rides on out in the national forest -- the only way I could slow it down was to put the ribbons (with or without clothespins) on poison oak bushes: I'm not allergic so it didn't bother me (although I did a lot of ribboning/deribboning by myself <g>), but it gave the saboteurs pause -- or at least a bad rash.
--
Lynn Kinsky Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky