Re: [RC] Fw: Slowing down speedy horse (Easy Early to Win Later) - Truman Prevatt

This wasn't a race horse, in fact it was a Walking horse so she didn't learn that on the track - unless they snuck in a palomino walking horse which is somewhat doubtful although she could run as fast as many TB's I've ridden.  This also wasn't easing up on the reins ( I ride my Arab with a cross most of the time and know how to use it ), it was dropping the reins completely. It was an act of faith the first time but it worked.

Truman

Heidi Smith wrote:
Yes it seems counter intutative but it worked like
a charm with her. Drop the reins she would slow, try to hold her back
she would speed up.

Actually, that's exactly the way race horses run.  When you ease up on the
reins, they slow down.  When you get a good hold on them (and in fact, race
riders take a "cross" with the reins on the horse's neck so that the horse
actually can pull against its own neck, instead of just on the rider's arms)
they speed up.

Heidi