From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx
To: mark@xxxxxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Top of the Rock, OR Angela's Curse
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:30:51 -0400

> I still say a good 100 mile ride is one of the best things in
> life.....even if I only got to do 90 of it!!

If you want any pity from me you'd better quit rubbing it in that I'm not
getting to do much right now. :-P

> Laura Hayes (is my character built enough now, Angie?

Gee, I'll have to think about it. There's so *many* stages to character
building. First, you have to prove you can accept being pulled gracefully
without trying to convince the vet you don't need pulled, etc.  Stage 2
is when you get pulled the *second* time in a short period of time and
you are required to smile and joke when people who are still in the ride
kid you about it (as opposed to making a flying tackle and wrestling
their horse from them). Stage 3 is when muster the ability to not hate
people who are completing on their new horses. I'm guessing that stage 4
has something to do with acceptance (I'm not there yet). Then you hit a
crossroads...do I prove them all wrong and figure out what's wrong with
this horse and fix it, or do I do like all my friends and get "the new
horse". :-((

I guess you can see I'm a bit down. Wouldn't be so bad if my "poor old
horse" would look a little pitiful in the field. Instead he is running
down the steep hill, slide stop, spin buck, motor up the hill. Lunges
just fine on a tight circle, flexes out just fine. Could do all the 25
mile training rides in the world around here and look great...but has 3
straight pulls. >whine< Yesterday at church the cover of the bulletin was
a little blonde haired girl that looked a lot like me when I was little
sitting on a white pony in a field of flowers and she's leaning forward
giving it a big hug. The heading was "God makes all things new". >sniff<

But then I watched "Signs" last night and the moral of that was "everything happened for a reason". Since I've not been riding this spring I've made GREAT progress on my log cabin. The parts that had been sitting unfinished for a year and a half are almost done. It's BEAUTIFUL. The weather has been so incredibly mild I would have spent all this time riding but instead I'm going to actually get the kid's wing finished before they grow up and move away. I guess what is happening to me is better than being pinned to a tree by a truck (only makes sense if you've seen the movie) So...maybe I'll be "the woman on the hill in the beautiful log cabin, who has tons of character, and is starting a new horse" before long. Or even better, "the woman on the hill in the beautiful log cabin, who has lots of character, whose horse just needed some time off. :-))

P.S. I'll call off the dogs and give you permission to finish your next
ride. :-)

Angie McGhee
Wildwood, GA
God grant me the Serenity to enjoy a sound horse when I have one. The
self control to not ride a questionable horse when I have one, and the
wisdom to know the difference.

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!