Re: [RC] Grain At Rides - Truman Prevatt

I really don't care much what he eats during a ride as long as he eats. First priortiy is drinking - he doesn't drink, he doesn't go on. As far as eating he pretty much knows better than me. If I offer him wet feed, he wants it dry. If I offer it dry, he wants it wet. If I offer alfalfa hay, he wants grass hay and if I offer grass hay he wants alfalfa.

The only thing that is a sure thing he will eat is grass and if he turns his nose up at grass, I probably also pull - don't know since he's never done it.

So I try to set up in a grassy spot with both wet and dry feed, alfalfa hay and three different types of grass hay plus peanut hay. Then I watch him walk to the next guys spot to check out what they have:-).

Truman

Merryben@xxxxxxx wrote:
Don't forget the old tried and true standby.  Let him eat whatever he wants cause all he will want is the stuff the other horses are getting.  You know, the stuff he won't touch at home because he thinks you are trying to poison him......That way you can save the time and trouble of mixing all those baggies of stuff he probably won't eat.....mb