Re: [RC] Alternatives to Beet Pulp - Truman Prevatt

Beep pulp is a good fiber source but I perfer to let the people who have the analysis capabilities, resources and expertise balance my feed for me. So I use a beet pulp based feed. It's about 25% beet pulp by weight. It is about 10% fat so a pretty good feed for an enduance horse. Unless I am feeding very little - which is the case much of the year since the horses are on grass - I don't worry about supplements except Se and E. For those guys getting little feed - they get a vit/protein supplement to compensate for the strictly grass diet.

Seems like a good way to go to me.

Truman

David & Maggie wrote:
The price on beet pulp pellets at my local feed store (Springerville AZ)
has jumped from just over $10 to over $16 in the past year.

We stopped buying beet pulp when we ran out of hay. We now feed a beet pulp
based complete feed from Kent called Golden Pride. It is about $7.50 for
50#. Cheaper by the ton. Our horses get nothing but Golden Pride, no hay, no
grain, no pasture, no supplements. They needed to put some weight on, but we
didn't expect them to gain an average of 100# each in six weeks!!