Re: [RC] rabies - DESERTRYDR1

Exposure to saliva transmits rabies, so all of the other horses should be
isolated if any of the bites broke the skin or if any of the horses had broken
skin when attacked.  In general rabies can only be transmitted when the animal
is in the last several days before death.  That's why they quarantine dogs that
have bitten someone for ten days.  If the dog has transmissible rabies, it
will be dead before the ten days are up.  Let me clarify here, the dog could
have rabies and live longer than ten days, but if it bit someone before that
last
ten days, it wouldn't be infective.  At least that's the conventional wisdom,
Heidi or Susan g. please step in if I'm wrong.  I work for  a local health
department, and part of our job is establishing quarantine for domestic species
that are capable of transmitting rabies if they bite someone.

There is a protocol for quarentining any potentially exposed (ie. bitten)
animals, and then the rabies vaccine is given toward the end of the quarantine.

Generally if the animal has had at least two rabies vaccines at the proper
intervals, they are considered to have adequate immunity, however, they will
probably still need to be quarantined for (I think) about six months, as that
is
how long it can take for the rabies to show symptoms, depending on where the
animal was bitten.  The closer to the brain, the shorter the incubation period.

Any person who was exposed to saliva and had broken skin in the vicinity of
the exposure should also have post exposure prophyllaxis, in other words, the
series of rabies shots.  The shots are very effective at preventing the
disease, which is great because once it develops, you are dead.  No IFS, ANDS
or BUTS!

If any of those horses are yours, you need to keep them isolated and observe
them for the six month period.  Not a disease to fool around with.  jeri