[RC] grain - Larry Miller

I grain around 7 or so the night before, the usual amount that my horse eats.  I grain about the same the morning of, maybe not as much, about 2 hours before the start.  Little grain feedings occur at each vet check.  But this works for my horse.  So whatever one does is up to what your horse needs or does not need.  I might add that my mare does not get alot of grain anyhow so that has something to do with the whole equation too.  And yes, my mare is nice and round.  In fact the vets laugh, they claim that she is the only horse in MI that gains weight thru the ride season.  Yes, she wins at competitive too and gets great pulse recoveries on both competitive and endurance.  I don't run in front anymore on endurance, but usually we finish in the top 10.  So do what works for your horse.  It is your discovery to find.  Jeanie