[RC] Thank you for slowing down speedy horse!! - kit kat

Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my questions. I took alot of the suggestions, and applied them to my riding, and for the last 2 rides had good rides and todays ride, the best ride I have had in months. I was only going 2 miles, so I added on 2 more miles. She REALLY enjoyed this. Plus, what I started doing was not having as much mouth contact, but when she DID jig, she got a little sharper of a regular half halt. After she walked for a good amount of time without fighting me, I rewarded her with a Pace. In doing this, she was far better to handle. She also stopped bobbing her head and yanking on my hands. I even got her to walk on a completely loose rein. I was so impressed and happy with her.

Now, I have another question. I am now riding her 4 miles. its taking us about 45 mins to do that. When she comes in, she IS sweating, but everyone seems to say sweat is good. Her pulserate lowers right away and she starts munching and seems to have enough energy to go another 2 or 3 miles. But, I like her coming back with energy. How long should I stay on the 4 miles. I dont want to get to the point of her being so full of energy on that loop that she thinks she needs to go fast all the time(I think that is part of the reason she was doing that when i was only going 2 miles). But, I dont want to push her either. She has NEVER shown signs of swelling in her legs(check every morning and night and after a ride.) Bu, I have only owned her for 11 months. Should I trust her when she wants to go further or trust my instincts that tell me to stick with the 4 miles for a couple of weeks and start adding a bit more speed to that 4 miles. OR should I keep her going slower(now that she is doing it) and then add the miles on and once im GOING ther 8 or 10 miles comfortably at a walk and some paces, THEN start adding the speed?

The thing is, when my mare DOES pace, she is going at a regular horses gallop, and she is just doing her medium pace. I have NEVER let her full out. Plus I only ride alone and long road side as that is my only riding available. So, I dont know if my questions are important, but they are things I have been worrying about. I want her to be safe and I want her to last a long time at this as she has such wonderful potential. She is not like any of my other horses I have ever had, so she is pretty special. Thanks again everyone and hope to not be a bother:)

Sarah and Penny
Chilliwack bc canada