[RC] Impossible dreams part eight - Maggie Mieske

Malik started to canter. He alternated cantering and trotting the rest of the way into camp and when he heard Nelson and our friends hollering for us and cheering us on, he cantered on in. It was 10:09 p.m. Oh, how I wish it had not been too dark for a photo!!!! It was the most wonderful feeling in the world. I almost cried! Our friend and ride manager of the Little Manistee and Tin Cup Springs rides, Becke Grams took Malik for me so I could dismount...I am happy to report that I did not FALL off or get my foot stuck or anything else embarrassing like that. If it had been light out and everybody could have seen, I would have. But it was dark so my agility at this point went unnoticed! Jeanie hugged me, Nelson hugged me and I heard congratulations all around. I wanted to stay with my horse and started walking with Becke to the vet in area but finally gave up (that sand is awful to walk in when you're NOT tired!) and caught a ride in the truck with Nelson. Malik pulsed in at 58 and trotted out just fine for completion. (It wasn't easy with his FIFTH leg sticking out there!!! Go figure!!). We weren't top ten anymore so did not get any more of an evaluation than that. Fortunately, I know my horse and knew he was fine and just needed a rest but I hope if there are other riders out there who are not sure, that they will ask the vet for help if they need it. I was surprised that with all the concern surrounding Malik's nap that the vet wasn't more meticulous in her examination at the end. I am sure there are people out there who think I should have pulled and was crazy for continuing on. But I can say with confidence that I know my horse like I know no other. He is my soul mate. If I had thought for one second that he was in REAL trouble, I would have pulled without even consulting the vets! I had several people tell me later that either their horse or someone they knew had a horse who would take naps at vet checks when they were tired. So I am not alone. Maybe I should start a support group for us. It's really quite a sad state of affairs!!

Max whinnied happily when he saw Malik come back to camp and came over to nuzzle him over the fence. Malik laid back his ears and bit him on the neck. I do believe he was disgusted and mad at Max for leaving him out there! It was quite funny. They did later make up but not until Malik had a good roll and a nap. We blanketed both horses for the night. It was chilly out and still freezes at night up there. But they looked great and spent a relaxed quiet night next to each other. We woke up the next morning to the sound of Malik trumpeting his supremacy to the horses warming up for the 25 miler. He came off the trailer at home hollering his head off for his mares and telling them all he had WON the Grand Island 100 (he is a famous liar!) and was so busy bouncing around and misbehaving that I dispensed with his liniment rub and turned him out. He went bucking, kicking and rearing over to the mares' fence, prancing and doing all kinds of pirouettes.