[RC] Impossible dreams part five - Maggie Mieske

That 23 miles again felt like an eternity but the horses were still so strong, cantering up hills, trotting BIG trots. We continued to stop for grass and Malik was acting a little gassy from time to time but still trotting and cantering like a trooper. At this point, we had been running 9th and 10th for most of the ride. We had been averaging 9-10 miles an hour which we felt was efficient...not pushing but not lollygagging either. Nelson and Daniel were meeting us everywhere they could along the road. We had started to slow down before this next check and Nelson was getting annoyed about that...it was at this point that I left a pit stop and suddenly burst into tears. Not that he had been that mean to me but I think the day had taken its toll and I was entering into that "zone"....after a few tears and then a few bad words about men and some commiserating with Jenny, I was better and ready to get to that check for some more Glucerna (chocolate) and Gatorade (Lime Ice is my favorite). What a combination, huh?

The horses cantered into the 4th check and pulsed right down. I was sent to the truck to eat and drink and stay out of the way. Nelson returned with Malik, took off his tack and presented him with a nice slurry. Malik simply laid down and put his muzzle on the ground. THIS immediately had people scurrying...a horse is down! I wasn't immediately alarmed....Malik does enjoy his naps. But when you have someone telling you your horse is in big trouble and you need the vet NOW, it does tend to disturb you. Nelson was certain he was just being lazy and we should just get him up and continue on our way. I didn't want to pull but that was a distinct possibility. So, we agreed to consult the vets (mind you, he had just COME from the vets who had examined him and found him to be fine). We presented him again and asked for another once over plus a CRI. They could find nothing physically wrong with him except that he wanted to LAY DOWN and have a NAP!!!! SO DID I!! And so, we let him lay down for a snooze...the vets gathered, photos were taken, all who were present gathered to see this sight as if they had never seen a horse taking a NAP. I do believe the bugger even SNORED!!! I was so embarrassed. I will never live this down!! Jenny chose to continue on with her uncle crewing for her. Nelson stayed with me and the few things we could think of at first (though we thought of all HORSE things, not Maggie things). Friends and fellow distance riders, Jeanie Miller and Pam Rosendall (who manages the Hopkins Creek ride) generously offered to stay and crew for us if we continued on so Nelson could go fetch the "Maggie" things. (Thanks to those riders picking up their buckets who gave him a ride back to camp!) And continue on we did....I gave Malik about an hour or so for his nap. He started to wake up and though he was comfortable laying down was suddenly ravenous, eating all the grass he could reach plus what people were picking and hand feeding to him PLUS his rubber tub full of slurry and carrots and apples. Finally, I made him get up. And put the saddle on him. Jeanie held him for me and gave him a brief lecture about taking care of ME now. Malik gave me the dirtiest look I have ever seen a horse give their beloved owner...I was not beloved at that moment. I offered him a treat of dandelions (a favorite) and he couldn't spit them out fast enough!!! He was MAD at me. But we saddled up and continued down the trail....ONLY 22 more miles to go and we could complete though our top ten was blown by then.