[RC] Impossible dreams part two - Maggie Mieske

Where to begin with the story of a hundred miles? With the first step? The first mile? The first vet check? I don't know. I received advice from EVERYBODY who had ever done 100 miles as soon as they knew I was for sure taking the plunge. So I'll start with that. Actually, I'll start with the advice that stuck with me and actually got used! Some advice was the same from several people and some was unique. Can't be sure to credit everyone with THEIR specific advice but you'll know who you are....

RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. I set a "hopeful" goal of 12-13 hours of ride time figuring that should get us in before dark. However, I did prepare myself for the possibility of being out there in the dark and the wee hours. But the reminder to ride my own ride came from everybody and was the BEST advice of all, in my opinion.

POSITIVE THINKING. Though this was put many different ways to me, I knew we needed to keep ourselves "UP" mentally. For ourselves and our horses. Nelson and Daniel did a good job of cheering us AND the horses on....nothing like hearing that whooping and hollering ahead when you are worn and tired and trying hard not to feel discouraged.

FRESH CLOTHES. Though I always try to remember DRY clothes in case we get wet, the advice to bring FRESH clothes was a life saver. Like an idiot I chose a T-shirt I hadn't worn in a long time (now I remember WHY). It chafed the underside of my arm RAW. I couldn't figure it out. Seems it was the seam (hahaha!). I tried zinc oxide and then when that didn't help, remembered my Wal Mart bag (yes, I am a redneck of sorts!) in the truck with a fresh change of clothes!!!! Another T-shirt!! Solved the problem IMMEDIATELY!! DUH!!! Oh, and the deodorant I had with my clothes made me feel much better, too.

DON'T RIDE 100 MILES, RIDE ONE VET CHECK AT A TIME.

LISTEN TO YOUR GUT (not sounds, INSTINCT).

Basically, I saw the sun rise and I saw the sun set and everything in between....I identified at least 10 different Michigan wildflowers (yes, I keep a book in the horse trailer...one for birds and snakes, too). I listened to orioles and blue jays and crows and mourning doves and even a whipporwill at dusk. Our trip north showed us the true beauty of Michigan in the spring with carpets of trilliums and spring beauties spilling out of the forests right up to the highways. Well, it continued right on into those forests on the trails with even MORE flowers. We also saw the yellows of trout lilies, downy yellow violets and marsh marigolds in wetter places. We even noticed some partridge berries during some slower terrain and a few dutchman's britches. I do love Michigan in the spring.