[RC] Liberty Run Part 3 of 5 (LONG) - April Johnson

SUNDAY
I was awake before the alarm went off. I even got up about 3:30 to give
Tanna more food. Sometime after the ride meeting, Tanna decided he was going
to have to work and he'd better eat everything he could find. So all night
he'd been slurping up his very wet beet pulp/grain mix. My neighbor, Betsy,
said SHE even heard him in the night. Oh, well, at least he was getting
water in him!

I crawled back in bed until the alarm went off, then got up and got myself
ready for a ride. I ate a couple of meatless hot dogs (no buns or anything)
and a small bowl of oatmeal, accompanied by a Chicken Chase cup full of hot
chocolate with a scoop of capuccino mix for a jolt. (BTW, a Chicken Chase
cup is a cup that we got at the Chicken Chase ride last month!)

We walked Tanna up to the scales. Man, he tanked up!!! 784 pounds! He gained
32 pounds overnight. Good gracious.

Back at the camper, Daniel and I teamed up to ready Tanna for his ride. We
both worked on the saddle. Then I spread desitin on his heels. Then I held
the light while Daniel took Red Kote (a red oil medication) to spray paint
Tanna's ride number on his butt. I never did see any livestock markers
around the check in area, so we had to make do with what we had. I'll have
to buy a marker and put it with my stuff I guess. Somehow, I thought that
was provided at rides. Daniel painted a very nice "54" on Tanna's butt.
Looked good to me.

Then time to get my helmet and the GPS units on. After getting the antenna
wires straight and the helmet strap buckled, I was all ready to mount up.
Then I remembered I needed to change my shoes. Sigh. So off I go to put my
boots on. My tennis shoes can slide through the holes in the cages on my
easy ride stirrups. Kinda defeats the purpose of safety cages.

There, this time I was ready. I lamented to Daniel that Laura Tichenor
hadn't been able to come along and help me out on my first 50. I really
would have liked her company on this ride, but I mounted up, ready to do it
on my own. Self-sufficient.

I just hoped Tanna wouldn't go ballistic and throw me. I really hoped that
the 2 years I have had him, working on our bond and his brain would be
enough to keep him from losing his mind and exploding because I wouldn't let
him run full out for 50 miles...Well, at least try to. He can't do that. I'd
have to rate him and that wouldn't be easy.

I slid the bit into Tanna's mouth (oh, yes, a bit. A hackamore works just
fine in training, but the line of control is very thin at a ride, so I've
decided we'll use a French link snaffle during competition at least until he
proves he is safe enough for the hackamore.). As I was working on the bit,
Daniel was fiddling with the GPS on my arm. I kept moving and he made an
impatient noise. I said, "I move with him, you move with me. I'm not
bothered by what you're doing, just do it while I move." So that's what we
did. Fine tuning our timing and working together.

Finally, ready to mount up. Daniel held the reins to keep Tanna from
circling, like he usually does when I mount. Up I went. Whew, no explosion.
Sometimes he'll go to bucking as soon as I mount up. I went and gave our
ride number (54) to Vicki and asked how long until the start. 3 minutes. Ok.
I'm not going to be around when all the horses take off. Something like 36
started the 50 on Sunday. So Daniel walked beside me while I took Tanna back
up to the vet check area and offered him water at the large round trough
there. No go, but that reminded me we needed electrolytes. I'd forgotten to
give them to him. We went back to the camper. I really didn't want to try
mounting again, so Daniel dropped the bit and gave Tanna the e-lytes. He
clipped the bit back on the sidepull and off I went. We were about 15-20
minutes after the start of the other riders.

I got on the trail and walked for a bit. I noticed two riders were starting
behind me. I had been certain I'd be the very last! I picked up a slow trot,
fully expecting the two riders to pass me soon, dreading the explosion from
my horse if they cantered past because I wasn't about to let him go fast in
the beginning, seeing as how that was the reason we started late. The riders
didn't pass me. Tanna sped up to a medium trot. They still didn't pass me.
Hmmm. Ok. Maybe they're going to go slow, too! Maybe I could ride with them.

After a mile or so, we were moving at a good fast trot, but not an extended
one yet. The other two riders had closed the distance between us, but
weren't passing. Before we'd made the first turn, I'd introduced myself and
they had done the same. Jamie Ginter from GA and Kim Williams from FL. Jamie
was riding a 10 yo mare, Wiggles, coming back from a series of freak
accidents. Kim was riding a mare on, I think, the mare's first 50.

They were very nice and we were all going about the same speed, so I stayed
with them. I was glad for the company and the fact that Tanna was still
controllable! I thought they might leave me at the first vet check, but I
had been most worried about the first loop, so even if they did, I'd be
happy just having the company for the first loop.

When we reached the first water, Kim's horse (sorry, I totally forgot the
mare's name!) dunked her head in the trough and slung her head around. It
was very funny! Tanna kinda looked at her and then half-heartedly tried to
copy her before taking a long drink. Good BOY!!! Then to further my joy with
him, he stretched out right there and peed. What a good boy.

We continued on at a good trot. Slowing down to a walk through the deep
sand. We were making decent time, though. We offered the horses water at all
the opportunities on that loop, I think. I ranged back and forth. Sometimes
riding just in front, sometimes riding behind the mares. Kim told me that
her mare is off the track and didn't like it when Tanna was too far in
front. She was ok if Tanna was just in front, but got too strong when Tanna
pulled away. So I tried to watch that and stay close.

I also watched Wiggles. She'd been known to kick, and even though Jamie
thought it was probably related to her being in heat at the time she kicked,
Jamie was still concerned and didn't want Tanna hurt. I appreciated that and
tried to watch where my horse was. We had no incidents with that the whole
ride, so that was good.

After a water stop, Kim suggested we stop and electrolyte our horses. I
foolishly tried to electrolyte from the saddle. Haha! Got it ALL over
Tanna's nose! Fortunately, I had set the plunger to stop at 10 cc, so I had
another 10 cc. I jumped off and administered the rest the way I usually do.
Tanna looked silly with it on his nose. I didn't wash it off, but I probably
should have. He has a bald spot on his nose now. Anybody know if Lyte-now
e-lytes will take the hair off? That's the only thing I can think of. Either
that or he rubbed his nose raw trying to get the e-lytes off, but I don't
know when he would have done that since I was on him or with him the entire
day and by the end of our day, his nose was bald.

For my on-the-trail electrolytes, I had decided to use single dose (26 cc)
tubes of Lyte-now. So I ordered some tubes from Jeffers in plenty of time to
get them for the ride. But they were on back order. I did get the 2 3-dose
(80 cc) tubes that I had ordered. So I gathered my strongid wormer tubes
that I had kept back and filled several of them with 20 cc of Lyte-now from
the larger tubes. I had an empty 80 cc syringe from Chicken Chase and then 2
more from filling the smaller syringes. I intended to use those empty
syringes to administer Summer Games electrolytes mixed with applesauce.

Since I only put 20 cc of Lyte-now in the empty wormer tubes the plunger was
partially in, so I didn't have to worry about the plunger working itself
out. That's one concern I have with full tubes because I had that happen to
one of my 80 cc syringes. Something put pressure on the plunger from the
side and it popped out of the syringe. Could have been a mess, but wasn't
because the tube was wedged on its tip in a bucket of other stuff, but in my
cantle bag...

I know 26 cc is usually the dosage, but Tanna is quite small, only 750
pounds, so I figure a 20 cc dose is good for him. Certainly was this
weekend. He drank a lot most of the day! I was extremely proud of him.

Anyway, I digress. Where was I? Oh, yeah, stopped for e-lyting. Poor Jamie
was having a hard time with Wiggles. The mare didn't want that syringe
anywhere near her! Finally, though, she was forced to submit and we were off
again.

When we got near camp, I saw my husband and happily waved at him. I told him
I had to go up to the timer to get my in time and I'd meet him at our
camper. He agreed and we parted again. I got my time marked on my vet card
and hand-walked Tanna the short distance to our camper. I checked his pulse.
56 beats per minute. Wow, down already. Okey dokey. Daniel got there and
took over Tanna while I went in the camper to use our porta-potty. I had
drunk almost 2 liters of fluid on that loop. By the time I got back out of
the camper, my wonderful husband had Tanna stripped of his saddle and had
sponged him down really well. I grabbed a bag of carrots and we headed
toward the vet check 1/4 mile away. I almost forgot my vet card and had to
run in and get it out of my hip pack. Whew! I'm glad I didn't forget that!!!

(to be continued)

April
Nashville, TN