Re: [RC] trucks & weight ratings & stopping ability - rrohwer Rohwer

Hey, along these lines of having enough truck and safety and all that I just
want to throw in one more thought.  That is braking ability.  I work for a
trucking company and see a lot of information sent to our drivers about safe
driving on the roads for all times of the year.  One of the things that
sometimes dismays me when I see someone pulling a loaded down rig, and I'm
not talking semi truck, is that they are going as fast as cars are.  It just
makes me cringe.  There is a reason that the speed limit for trucks (semi's)
on the highway is less than other traffic.  One of the biggest is their
ability to stop.  It just takes longer when you have a load on the back of
that truck.  I will see people with goosenecks 30 plus feet out the back of
their 3/4 ton truck loaded for bare with precious cargo (horses) in the back
flying down the highway just as fast as the sporty cars they are sharing the
road with.  Do these people think that they can stop just as fast as that
sports car with the weight they have pushing them from behind and don't
forget that precious cargo that is not buckled in back there.  I am well
aware of trailer brakes and all that, but I just want to send out a plea to
please slow down.  Most people hauling anything whether it be horses or the
family camper really have no business traveling any faster than that semi
that is cruising down the highway.  And yes I know they go plenty fast too.
But just think about how fast something can get in your way, and how long it
takes to slow that rig down before you set your cruise at the highest speed
you are legally allowed to travel on a road or interstate.  Better to get
there a half hour later than not at all.

Take care and drive safe this summer.

Becky R. - Montana