Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.0349 - Heidi Smith

I'm not QUITE twice 30 <g> but likewise my doc was amazed at my wonderful bone density, and I've never taken a Tums in my life.  Good genes for strong bones, activity, and milk....  And you likely have the same formula...  :-)

MD's are for the most part even more ignorant of nutrition than too many veterinarians.  They know you need calcium, and they see there is calcium in Tums, so they recommend it.  Most of them never got very interested in the chemistry of digestion, unless they just happen to have an interest in it (like those of us vets who either endurance ride or are nutritionists...  <g>).  Maybe SuG will comment on the bioavailability of the calcium in Tums....

Heidi

So I wonder if it is worth the effort to take Tums for the
calcium...

Actually when I had to have my cancerous thyroid removed, my doctor prescribed Tums on a daily basis for the calcium....I also drink milk a lot and my latest bone density test said I had the bones of a 30 year old and I am twice that so guess it was worth the effort.

Susan K