[RC] a little peeing problem - watch out (long) - Stagg_Newman

A horse not peeing can be a sign of serious problems
so do be careful when this happens.

One of hte worst experince I ever had with endurance riding
was when I was crewing for Maggie Price at the ROC in
1999 at the Big Horn.  Her horse Tina who had top tenned
the ROC the previous couple of years as well as a top
ten at the World's in '98 with a relatively heavy Italian rider
to whom Maggie had loaned the horse did not pee all day.
At the last couple of check points the horse would fall asleep
during the vet check but then trot out fine and the recoveries
were fairly good.  We talked to the vets about it.
They had been watching the horses
through binolculars on trail and Tina looked better than most.
A lot of the horses were looking flat at the checks and the
speculation was it was due to altitude (half of the ride
was up over 9000 feet I believe).  Maggie felt the horse
was not quite right and kept slowing down and finished
well back in the pack.  The horse came across the finish line
at a good looking trot as I remember.

Just after the finish line as I was walking the horse
over for crewing the horse started to get shakey.
I called for help and the vets started aggressive
treatment.  Dr. Jeannie Waldron discovered that
the bladder was really swollen and put in a catheter
which released a flood.  Horse was put on heavy
fluids.  The horse was up and down
all night.  At one point it looked grim but the horse
pulled through.  After several weeks at a nearby
clinic Tina was fully recovered and went home.
She later went on do more competitive trail riding
and a little bit of endurance and to make some nice babies.

Now what did happen that day.  Turns out Tina
was part of an expermental use of adminstering
calcitrol (sp?) as part of a controlled experiment
by a vet from Ohio State as I remember.
Calcitrol is a form of calcium that was suppose
to be absorbed very quickly.  So there was blood work done
at each vet check.  Tina's blood work was essentially the
same at each check as the Val Kanavy's horse that was
on the same program and finished either 3rd or 4th and
was reserve BC.  The only difference was Tina had very
low calcium readings (if my memory is correct???)
So Tina was not suffering from exhausted
horse syndrome or dehydration.  Best guess is something,
perhaps the low calcium, had cause a spasm of the uretha and
she could not urninate.  So urine was backing up into the system causing
a uric (sp?) toxin of the system.  So her brain was basically
being poisoned which was causing the symptoms we saw.
We were fortunate that day that Tina was able to make
a full recovery.

So remember the EDPP, eating, drinking, peeing and
pooping.  In this case the horse did not pee all day
and at the latter checks in retrospect we realized was not showing
proper interest in eating.  So she was trying to tell us something was
not right.  Although this occurred 15 years ago when we knew far
less, similar problems could still occur.  So if a horse is not
peeing right, take this as a warning sign and be careful.

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.