Re: [RC] [Guest] Blue Heelers on Trail - Sullivan

I have thought for some time that breed would be good to run
with a horse.  My Rot did not work out, bad hips.

Jean Wonser
FL

Since I have one, want to correct the misconception that the "heeler" is a
breed- the name of the breed is
Australian Cattle Dog.  Those have have "heelers" also seem to be of the
sort that whack off the trail, which is not only cruel, and unbalances the
dog, but is also contrary to the breed standard which is to include a TAIL!
Story I heard is that a Calif Vet. started the practice of docking the
trails and it caught on with the ranch crowd......unfortuntaly.

Okay, off soapbox.  I have one, a sort of rescue as a one year old.  They
ARE great trail dogs with a minimum of physcial
problems, hip dysplasia is rare in the breed and they are tough as nails.
Mine is very bonded to me, but shy with strangers.
They are not known for the best of dispositions; can be fiercely protective
and reactive.  Mine is still a problem chasing and heeling the horses,
despite trying all kinds of training and a shock collar.  Mine stays away
from the horse feet on the trail, and ranges off after whatever, but
generally in sight.

I had tried Ridgebacks as trail dogs, but that did not work out for me.
Both disliked it (were too lazy), and one had severe hip problems.....

She is better as a running buddy, staying within sight and very protective.

Would I get another?  NO
Karen