[RC] riding during and after pregnancy - Laura Hayes

As Angie said, this is a really personal decision.  She chose to NOT ride, I
chose to continue.  I rode all through my pregnancy (he will be 19 next
month) as well as competing.  I rode a 50 miler (Frantic in Ohio) at 7.5
months along.  I was third, but really took it easy.

Mind you, I was 24 years old, had ridden all my life, and was fit as a
fiddle from a college distance swimming career.  I rode the evening before
my son was born (bareback, even) and did a 50 miler (Y Bar U in Penn) when
he was 3 weeks old.  I nursed him at the checks.  So ok, I am extreme....I
felt great, was careful who and where I rode.  I know as well as anyone that
any horse can be bad, but at 24 I thought I was invincible.

My son is 6'4", never had so much as an earache all his life, and won
$24,000 (yes, thousand) worth of scholarships to college.  I don't believe I
hurt him a bit dragging him to rides and nursing him after jogging into a
check, though one woman told me I was ruining my milk being so sweaty!!  I
can still picture him sound asleep in a nip nap on a table during a live
band and dance after a ride!!

Some risks are real, and it is best to really think hard about them and
speak to your doctor.  My doctor was an athlete and is still a close friend
and very supportive, so he understood my desire to keep riding.  He said the
biggest risk would be if I were hurt and needed x-rays.  I had never been
hurt at that point (and only twice since that needed x-rays, with nothing
ever broken) so I didn't think it was a big risk.  My husband understood,
and as a rider, was ok with it.

After having a baby, it was even more important to me to ride.  I had a
standing Wed night date with a friend to leave the baby with dad and go
riding for several hours.  I also traded horseshoeing for babysitting, or
traded babysitting with a riding friend - taking turns watching each other's
kids to be able to ride.  I took a babysitter with me to rides (she is a vet
now!) and traded her riding lessons and board for babysitting.  Every few en
durance rides I would sit out and let her ride my horse.  She was very
appreciative and loved my son.

I would never in the world chose riding, endurance, or horses over being a
mom, but I was able to have both and I am very grateful.

Laura Hayes  AERC#2741