[RC] Herniated disc - William M. Nissen

I'm currently 58.  Three years ago I woke with my left foot asleep and a foot drop, fortunately no pain.  CT scan showed a herniated disc and three days later I had a mini discectomy on a Friday morning, went home on Saturday, and was riding again in 3 weeks, although slowly at first, but did go back to extensive (4-6hour) trail rides in 8 weeks.  Again, I was fortunate to have had no pain, my symptoms were immediately relieved by the surgery, and the doctors I saw were concerned about the neurological deficits which is why they did surgery early.
The statistics on positive outcome for lumbar disc surgery are grim, especially when long standing pain is involved as well as arthritis, spurs, etc.  Each case is highly indiviual and the advise about second opinions is sage.  Regards-Bill Nissen