[RC] crossing water - Larry Miller

My horses are out in pasture with all kinds of obstacles, nature wise.  This helps to teach them about downed trees, water, mud, etc.  When I am by myself and the horse is reluctant to cross the creek, then I lead the horse across.  For the most part this has worked.  I keep leading until the jumps aren't quite so horrendus, the horse is more willing to follow, and then I get on the back.  Keeping my fingers crossed, so far so good.  Be careful to get out of the way when leading, when I led young Bay across a creek, I slipped, fell down, he came right after me in a mighty jump, one foot hit me,  and wha-la, I had a third boob!!
As for bogs, just be careful that there are no pigs lying in them!  I will never forget when someone was asking me about getting his horse across a big puddle.  I in  my infinite wisdom gave all kinds of advice.  No, no, no was the response.  Then this person said, "I suppose it didn't help when my horse was crossing the puddle that a big pig, dripping mud,  rose right up in front of my horse!"  DUH!!  To this day, I cannot cross a big puddle without out thinking about the boogie man pig!  LOL Jeanie