[RC] herniated discs - A. Perez

 I had a massively ruptured disc (L5/S1) about 6 years ago.  I
started having back problems as a teenager, after picking up a
100 lb bag of grain (I weighed about 95 lbs at the time), so it
was probably herniated for years before it finally blew. Once it
blew I was in terrible pain.  Mt !^@%!% doctor insisted on doing
physical therapy before ording an MRI, so I spent months in pain
before I was properly diagnosed (for some reason I only got
sciatica at the very end, so he did not think it was a disc
problem).  I had a discectomy (no fusion), and have been very
happy with the results.  I had microsurgery, so the inscision
was only about 1 inch long, the surgery took 45 minutes, and I
walked out of the hospital 4 hours after the surgery.  The
physical therapist who had to clear me before I could leave the
hospital was amazed that I could climb stairs just fine within
two hours of the surgery (he had never treated one of this
surgeons patients before, and he is the one who developed this
technique). Two weeks recovery time before I could drive etc.
I still have two bulging disc just above it still that the
surgeon left alone.

I don't know where you are, but I found out the surgeon has
moved to California, if you want let me know and I will email
you his name.  He does alot of pro football players, for what
that is worth.

I was not riding regularly at the time, so it was a couple of
years before I took up riding again, though I probably could
have started riding sooner.  I got into tennessee walking horses
because of my back, though what I have found is that cantering
is more of a problem than trotting!

 By all means get a second opinion before consenting to ANY
surgery.  Fusion seems a bit extreme if all you have is a
herniated disc, but I am no expert.

Good luck!