[RC] [Guest] [RC] crossing water with a green Arab - Ridecamp Guest

On Behalf Of csimmons88

I spent Saturday in the saddle with a green horse doing the creek dance.

The best kept 'secret' I learned from Pat Parrelli years ago.

He took a bunch of us on new started 2/3/4 year olds (1 week or less under
saddle).  He sent us down a dip with small creek at the bottom and a nice
open up slope on the other side.  Just the type that if they're not going to
quietly walk across it was a safe 'leap'....

There was only one horse that crossed out of the group.

What Pat shared with us was that person was the only one in the group that
had put their focus/intent/energy on the other side of the creek...therefore
the horse's focus was on the other side too.  Those of us that didn't cross
had ridden down the slope with our focus (fear/anxiety) on the near side! So
of course, that's where the horse's focus was.  There is also an added
factor of looking down that changes the riders dynamics where as continuing
to look up and seeing yourself on the other side continues the energy.

I have run into this so many times when the footing is questionable & my
focus is on the footing rather than where I want to be.  This includes those
step-over horse gates when I'm worried about my knees banging the pipes,
vs maintaining the focus on seeing the horse IN the trailer.  We're usually
looking down at the back edge of the trailer & that's where the horse's feet
stop...that's where our focus is.  I just had never correlated those easy
times I had kept the focus & energy forward in the trailer rather than the
tailgate.

Hope that helps.