[RC] Marquis/Rx--somewhat OT - CMNewell

Likely your DVM ain't gettin' rich off the Marquis. The pricing differs depending on how much one orders; certainly Smartpak is dealing more of the stuff than your average equine practitioner. So they both get it cheaper and make their profits on selling it in volume.
It would be foolish to expect to buy things at cost--no other business can do that and be solvent. (We'll leave out the concept of the "loss leader" that merchants use to entice customers into the store. Although a local tack shop owner told me of having words with a customer who was indignant that he wouldn't give her a quantity discount on ivermectin paste that he had on sale for twenty five cents more than he paid for it wholesale.)
Certainly a pharmacy doesn't sell medications at cost. My book keeper has been slapping me around lately at my haphazard inventory/pricing habits. She has made it far too clear that it costs me $$ to have stuff on the shelf, and that it is not immoral to expect to do more than break even on my expenses in purchasing it.

However, in the case of drugs which are incredibly expensive to purchase in the first place, I would rather point my client towards a less expensive option than bother ordering the stuff, and maybe getting stuck with it and having it expire on the shelf, or having the client decide not to treat based on cost.
(And then there was the eye medication that I scripted out for another client--boy was I glad that she had the pharmacy to gripe at about the price and not me!)
--CMNewell, DVM