[RC] Entries closed on the Quicksilver Classic West Region ride for May17 - Michael Maul

From Ride manager Scott Sansom

Do to the restrictions put on the parking access of base camp by Fish and Game, parking space is very limited. This unfortunately means we have had to close the entry to the ride to the entry's we had in hand as of Tuesday 13 May. If your entry is received after Tuesday you will be put on a waiting list. Please DO NOT just show up. You will NOT be able to enter at the ride.

Here is the scenario. We have a permit with the State Parks to put on the endurance ride in Coe Park. The old base camp was at Hunting Hollow. Anyone that has been to that base camp knows the multiple creek crossings tear up any long rigs. So we looked for a better base camp. What we found was Stevenson Ranch. This is a large ranch. It is a ranch that was bought by Fish and Game. They are in the middle of selling a part of the ranch to the State Parks. The Park ranger currently lives at the ranch. So he contacted Fish and Game and asked permission for us to use the Stevenson ranch as our base camp. They agreed to this (Eventually). When it came time to mow the area that we could use for parking we found that it was not large enough. The State Park ranger was told by Fish and Game we could only use what was already designated. We will barely be able to squeeze the entry's that have pre-entered. At that, we cannot allow portable corrals or staking horses out. All horses will need to be tied to trailers.

The bad news: Only the people who have pre-entered will be able to ride. NO Portable corrals of any kind will be allowed. No Dogs (this does mean you!). We are under the microscope in this base camp. If we act badly, it will only hurt our standing with the Park ranger. Fish and Game will only laugh at us if we make a enemy of the Park. And the Park is trying to help us.

The Good news: Soon the State Parks will own the base camp so Fish and Game will not have control. The trail is beautiful. Wild flowers all over the place. Creeks full of water. Green grass is up at waist high.

Please call a friend if you know they were planning on coming. Let them know what is going on. A lot of the phone numbers on the entry's are not read-able. Also, the gate to Stevenson Ranch is locked. It will have a combination lock with a combo of 2900. Please shut and lock the gate after yourselves.

Sorry for the late notice,

Scott Sansom