[RC] Found in Woods - Elizabeth Szeliga

This topic reminds me that I haven't come across anything interesting in the woods lately. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. What I've come across in the past includes:

A fawn who followed us back to the barn. She never left the woods once we got to the clearing around the barn, and seemed to disappear shortly afterward, so I think that mama was following even further behind.

A full wallet. What was funny about that was the reaction of the teenage neighbor that I was riding with. He didn't say anything, but seemed puzzled when I told him that we were just going to open it in order to look at the ID so that we could return it. I have a suspicion that he may have done differently if he came across it when he was on his own - finders keepers, and all that.... I was disappointed though, that the wallet's owner didn't make any kind of fuss over the boy when we rode up to his house to return it. I thought that he'd at least thank him profusely, or ask for his name so that he could send him a thank you note or whatever. Oh well, so not every one is grateful for a good deed.

I found one nice 8 point deer antler.

My friend and I were riding on a huge pleasure ride - a hundred or so riders. We were in the lead and going over a wooded mountain. We saw two guys and bustling activity about 30 feet off the trail. The leaves were already falling, and we had a pretty good view through the woods to a a little clearing where two young guys with an ATV were trying to nonchalantly block our view of the marijuana plants that were towering behind them! We didn't break the news to them that they'd have 100 more riders coming by within minutes, but I bet that we got their heart rates up! Perhaps they thought a posse was after them!

Another trail in a state park that we frequent had an old abandoned Bronco. For a few weeks, we would find it in different places, within a mile or so radius. Sometimes it was upright, sometimes it was upside down, sometimes it was on its side. I'm amazed that kids have enough time on their hands, and enough energy to engineer this kind of shenanigan!

Liz in Massachusetts