[RC] Crossing Water - rrohwer Rohwer

Hey All,
     Just recently had an experience with my 4 yo gelding.  Took him out for his first in the real world ride this year last Wednesday.  He did real well except for crossing water.  It was unfortunate that the first water we came to was pretty major for the youngun.  Was only a ditch maybe 2 ft wide maybe 10 inches deep, but it had also kind of spread out into a road that crossed it and was running pretty fast.  Well, Mr. gelding did a major tap dance when was asked to go across.  So got off and asked but the response was quite the same as from the saddle.  I know that loosing the battle is not a good thing, but was with another person and knew that I was not gaining ground.  So we went another direction.  But the mind set was made and from that point on any little trickle on the ground was a huge snake for the poor boy.  But other than the water thing he really did well for a youngun.
     So on Thursday I went to the RC archives and looked up crossing water.  Some one out there suggested using a tarp to have the boy walk on which was funny, because that is exactly what I was thinking of doing.  So Sunday morning I spread a huge tarp across my driveway.  Got the boy out, walked him to the tarp and then across.  He went like it was not big deal at all.  Having him walk on a tarp was something I did with him as a yearling.  So I took the garden hose and put it at one end of the tarp so that water was running across it.  Still not even a hesitation for him to go across it with the water running.  Some puddles were forming that maybe got about 4 inches deep.  He would walk to them, stop, sniff, sip, paw, wiggle nose in it and basically was having a good time playing in the water.  Hummm.  So what be the problem with water?
     The water was starting to run off the tarp onto the edge of the drive and into the ditch.  So thought I would ask him to walk across that.  OK, here is the problem.  Don't know if it was squishy ground or the muddy color, but this was not nearly as much fun as being on the tarp.  He danced, he backed, he circled, he did everything except cross.  So to work we went.  Kept asking him to move forward and move by me.  This is all being done from the ground.  Eventually got him to cross it nicely with out trying to knock me down.  OK, one side pretty good.  Switched hands and sides and oh my gosh, the whole world has changed and here we go ballastic again.  Took some time, but again got him over.
     Had him cross from both directions a couple more times and decided to call it good for the day.  Am thinking of working this same exercise again from the ground before I ask from the saddle.  Am hoping all this will work.  Do feel like he is just trying to buffalo me and succeeding, but am trying to get the upper hand.  If anyone else has any suggestions would be interested in hearing them.

Becky R. - Montana