[RC] New Arab (long) - ALISON MUELLER

Well I did it.  I adopted that arab gelding I was asking about bloodlines on.  Poor baby he was a rescue case.  If he didn't find a home by yesterday (Sunday) her hubby was taking him to the killers.  She (Shannon) is going under major surgery tomorrow and he said he wasn't taking care of any animals??.if any were left the horses were going to the killers and the dogs to the pound.  Personally I would find a new husband, but not my place to say.  Any-hoot??she raised him, then sold him to a couple.  Something happened to the wife and the hubby told Shannon to come get him from the trainer.  He wasn't a horse person and didn't want to keep the horse?.to go get him from the trainers.  When Shannon went to get him the trainer (and I use this term very loosely) picked up a halter and lead and a HOE to go into the stall and get him.  Said he was mean and vicious.  A real killer.  Shannon said no he wasn't, took the halter from the "trainer" and went in the stall.  When Zephyr realized it was Shannon he let her halter him and lead him out.  I don't know how long she had him from the trainer when she sent out the plea for an adopted home, but he is a nervous wreck and a bag of bones.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I tailored down to Temple, TX on Sat (it is a mid-point between us) and we met at the Wal-Mart parking lot.  What a zoo.  There was a small patch of land between the Wal-Mart and some fast food places so we pulled over there.  Of course that was where a lot of people were selling puppies.  So kids running every where.  We asked them all to stand back so they didn't get hurt and he loaded out of her trailer and jumped right into mine (and she had been going on what a problem loaded he was).  Poor baby tore right into that bag of good, yummy coastal hay I had.  I meet him in my trailer and he sniffed at me and kept eating.  She gave me his info, neg. coggins and off I went.  He hauled perfectly home.

When I arrived home he wouldn't let me put a lead on his halter (he was loose in the front part of my stock trailer).  He never tried to hurt me?.but was scrambling trying to get out away from the rope I was holding.  So I just backed up to my barn and let him jump out loose in the barn.  His stall door was open and he walked right in.  When I walked into the stall (still does?.just doesn't shake quite as much) he will go to the back corner and shake like a leaf in a hurricane.  Poor baby is so scared.  Luckily I have a small 1/2 acre paddock that attaches to the back of my barn.  So I can just open the back gate and he goes right into the pen.  And he is good at coming into the barn for meals when I open the gate.  We are just working on him trusting me right now.  I can now walk into the stall and he isn't shaking.  He still cringes in the corner.  Yesterday I was able to pet his shoulder for a few seconds before he leaped back into his corner.  And today he took a piece of carrot from me.  We will get there slowly but surely!  He has a beautiful, intelligent, kind eye.  Anyone that wants to see pictures email me.

LOL  My stock horse friends are in shock I have an Ay-rab in with my Paints!  They think I have lost my mind.  <giggle>

Alison Mueller
Lochwood Acres
8319 County Rd 2418
Royse City, TX 75189