[RC] Little Manistee part two - Maggie Mieske

Anyway, he ate and drank like a pro at the 3rd check and this time, our view from our "spot" allowed us to see the riders a little ways over as they finished the 4 mile loop that comes around and behind the check on the way back to camp...he watched all the horses with much interest and when it was time to saddle up, he was itching to go out there and find those horses, he didn't care that we were an hour behind!! The last loop was awesome and I was very proud and happy to be a part of this team... I let Malik teach me again how to let him guide ME. Though I try to watch and warn him of tricky spots with rocks and roots, etc., I also sometimes simply let the reins lay loose in my hands and tell him to take me through it and there are some nasty tricky spots on this trail with deep, deep sand and some downhill with washouts and rocks and roots that in the past, I have always walked through. But when I ask him to be careful and get us through, he does....every ride I gain more and more confidence in my ability and in my horse. He is an amazing creature. We are now going faster and stronger than ever together. It's such a rush! He knows how to break into a canter at just the right place going downhill before he hits the bottom and we start going uphill...at first it scared the crap out of me but he is very adept at it and knows exactly what he's doing. I didn't teach him that though I read about it in one of Lew Hollander's books. In fact, in a couple of attempts at guiding (foolish human that I am), I was at fault for causing a fumble. In a couple of tricky spots in particular where the trail virtually diverges into two paths, he knew EXACTLY which direction to go in (I did, too though...I was just testing him!). And in trying to correct my posture during one of his cantering surges, I caused him to lose momentum and stumble a bit. He recovered in spite of his stupid human! He is an amazing horse. Sorry to keep repeating myself. I worry that I am not going to be able to ride him to his potential but I'm going to give it my best shot!!

Anyway, to make a long story short, we finished our ride in just over 5 hours and in 8th place (51 minutes behind Wendy Peterson who was first to finish and Linda Hamrick who was 2nd...Wendy gallantly came back to help Linda after Linda's horse spooked about two miles from the finish and she came off...aren't endurance riders wonderful??). I think our official time will be 5:14. I find that very respectable and am pleased with how our ride turned out. Malik vetted out with all As. In spite of being so far behind in time, we were only 10 points from Best Condition which went to Shelley Dake and Count Chaska. And they are pros with great vet scores...that's one thing I am always impressed by-the great vet scores both Gene and Shelley get with their horses and I aspire to that myself, not because I want Best Condition (well, yes, I do) but because high vet scores should be a top priority OVER fast times. Being able to combine the two takes some strategy and experience and KNOWING your horse and your TEAM. I continue to work on all of that.