Re: [RC] A wonderful ride in Ohio!!(kinda long) - Lynne Glazer

OK, if we're telling stories. Yep, I had exactly that kind of day. It started by finding out my greenie had managed to pull off a shoe for the second time this shoeing (and the second time in his life) and I couldn't find it. Next I tried my mare's Easy Boot since they wear the same size shoe. Nope, just a little too big. Then my riding buddy thought she had a smaller one at her house. Untacked her mare, threw her in my mare's pen (while Ember's away getting preggers in AZ), drove to her house. Same size. <sigh> What to do? Why eat lunch, of course, and go shopping. The local store had the right size, and it was the new kind with the precut back, hurrah, and it fit. My greenie could have cared less about the whole fitting procedure. Another buddy couldn't wait for us and had already left.

The goal was to ride the heavily-under-construction hills. For those that have done the Norco Riverdance Ride, you wouldn't recognize vet check one. All of that acreage is turning into houses, looks like a moonscape now. We left the bridle paths and started climbing the new road to the radio towers. Made the left before the top and made our way to the sand hill (1st year of Norco, riders climbed it). My greenie did a first class job of carefully negotiating the downhill in front, and the tricky technical trail that took us to the Hidden Valley golf course. Our "running road" through this valley was gutted several years ago to put this golf course in. Around it we go, trotting up the new road they're putting in, still dirt for now. More construction. Q sees his first golf carts and golfers. We explain to him what a silly game it is, and what a waste of land. He wanted to know if that green stuff was edible, and I told him it was too much work, mowed so closely. Through the fence they've thankfully finally opened for access again, and more steeps. My greenie likes to lead, and he's very attuned to me, I'm gaining more confidence in him all the time. We stood at the top of the highest hill, and surveyed the mountains in 3 directions, with around 50 mile visibility. It's a place we come in the summer because it can be 15 or more degrees cooler in the wind on top. His mane is blowing in the breeze, and the horses quickly cool. His heart rate doesn't exceed 144 for the whole ride.

I decide to get off for the steep downhill, bad mistake on my part. Slippery decomposed granite from all of the rain, I'm slipping, he's being careful and heartily *pissed* at me for being off of him and slowing us down. Dances on the end of the loose lead, while at a safe distance from me. Waits for me to remount, and prepares to charge the hill ahead of us, was he surprised to be instantly doubled (I didn't have my off stirrup yet). This is a horse on whom I now use 10% of the rein I used to, because he will respond quicker to voice than rein, and I get a whole lot less tired. We navigate the construction around Ingalls Park, where they've built a new arena besides the covered arena, my kid hasn't seen any of this part of the trail. Off again for some slippery asphalt with no trail next to the street, this time he understands and walks quietly next to me. Down to California Street, where there is even MORE construction.

Then it was like the finale at a fireworks show--what more stimulus could there be to test the boy? Why, lots--streaming construction and hazard ribbon in a stiff breeze, fluttering huge real estate flags, ditches, sandbags, dogs, cars and trucks with trailers (all on a secondary road), guy holding a real estate pointer sign, huge phone poles lying along the trail, dozers, etc.--he stays calm for all of that, and then my buddy's horse went straight, and I ask him to cross the street and go home by ourselves. For the first time. The briefest of "can I run home?" questions, and he walks home calmly between my seat, legs and hands, no spooks, just lovely forward movement.

And yep, the Easy Boot was still on. He stood still as I wrestled it off, keeping his leg on my knee for quite a while to do so--the money spent for the B was totally worth it to have this kind of day. He's been on the trail for almost a year, and unfortunately hasn't done much in the New Year since I've gotten sick a lot--it's apparent that he's done a lot of thinking about it, because he's a whole lot more dependable now than he was last year. This is "Rubberband", of last year's stories on ridecamp, and we're going to his first ride the end of this month. I still call him "green", but he handles a whole heap of stuff with aplomb that would startle or challenge seasoned horses. I always call Norco "graduate school" for trail training, but it's even worse/better now with construction everywhere. 100 dump truck loads a day, for instance. C'mon down! <g>

Lynne
Rem-member Me and Celesteele (Q)