[RC] Saddle Shopping and Desitin - Annie George

Desitin on neoprene can  be washed off with hot water and Dawn dish soap. It really cuts the oils.   As for wide short backed horses, or any other horse that is not born with an off the rack back. Maybe one out of a Jillion.  You guys need to consider a custom saddle.  That word  'custom' is bandied about freely, but what it truly means is that a saddle is built for your horse AND you. Not just a bunch of saddles that are pre made that you hope to get the closest fit for. That is how most big saddle companies sell so called custom saddles. Custom means custom, it does not mean 'large selection'.  There are very few actual custom  endurance saddle makers.   I don't hear many complaints at all about those saddles, and I don't replace very many of them at all. But lots of complaints and replacements of the others,claiming to be custom,  that are actually  off the rack saddles.   So when you are shopping for a saddle, whether you get it from me or one of the other "custom Makers" be sure to shop custom only. And be sure that it really is custom, and not just a misuse of that word. There is NO REASON  WHATSOEVER   for anyone to have to "put up with" being uncomfortable for the sake of the horse, or rider comfort over horses.    Rarely cheap rack saddle saddle will seem to be OK for a while, but problems are inevitable.  We spend jillions of $$ on rigs trucks, and even horses, but when it comes to a saddle people suddenly become poverty stricken and just unable to afford a decent saddle.  You can not believe some of the  shoppers that have come in here, $150,000.  worth of rigs and horses, saddle sores, big problems in  shoulders, hips, and spines, pulls, and lay-offs, and then they squall like a run over house cat if a saddle is going to cost over $200. and take over a week to get. The saddle is not the place to cut corners.  Materials are another thing to consider. Educate yourself about the different kinds of leathers, tanning process. Most people know that Oak tanned leather is good, but do you know why? Chrome tan, Veg tan brain tan, acid tan? domestic, or imported leathers? real sheepskin or synthetic? Imported hardware, or americam ? The custom makers that I know of use the very best materials, and most of the rack saddle makers do not. The custom saddles, hand made by either myself or the other custom makers will outlast the rack saddle by literally years, and years. And these saddles are designed so that they will fit allot of horses that are of a similar type.  There is a difference in tree size and tree design, You can have trees the same size, but different designs, one will work and one will not. Like high heals and hiking boots, they are both size 8, but you need a size 8 riding boot for endurance. Size/design. This is why a off the rack saddle can give you loin troubles, and a custom saddle will not. This is not a sales pitch for my saddles, ( but I wouldn't be mad if you bought one) I just hope that when you start saddle shopping, you all will think custom only.  Believe me, you will certainly save yourselves a ton of money in the longrun, and a heck of allot of grief for you and your Especially your horse!  Annie G.                                                                                                                Anne George Saddlery  www.vtc.net/~ageorge