Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 5:34 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] Teaching horse to pony

A lot of people think ponying is all about controlling the led horse. So much has to do with the "pony" horse being under control. My tips are;

1. Pony horse must be well trained to neck rein and go well in some sort of shanked bit or hackamore that is appropriate to neck reining. Snaffles just don't work well with only one hand on the reins.

2. The pony horse must be very manueverable, forehand, hindquarter turns and side-pass or leg yield. To insure immediate obedience to leg cues I use a blunt dressage spur that just gives me a harder heel. If the pony starts to crowd or step on the led horse I want to be able to immediate move the pony away, like now. If the pony gets snippy or threatening I have only my legs and voice for correction. A slap with the side of your leg against the pony while growling gets the message across. If pony is too spooky of jumpy to correct then you probably should be on another horse.

3. Do wear gloves every time!

4. Don't pony with just a halter and lead. Put something firmer on the led horse, a stud chain wrapped around the nosepiece  of the halter and all the way around the nose or a training halter that tightens when the horse pulls back. Don't delude yourself that you can hold a 1000 lb horse if it pulls back. That's about the time the pony horse goes the other way. Being able to slow and control a bolting young horse is importent too. Use a fairly long lead, to have room to play the rope out to a suddenly silly goose of a horse. Use a round soft lead or a good leather lead.

5. Do not take turns around a horn. Every tug on the rope hits the pony's withers and could turn your saddle.

6. I did have to carry a long dressage whip a few times with one young horse that balked at crossing mud. talk about a lot in your hands!

Bonnie Snodgrass