Re: [RC] Gaited Horses - Lysane Cree

Hello,

I rode my first ride (25 mile CTR) this summer on a
gaited horse - Rocky Mountain Horse. I think the horse
I rode has good potential to do long distances because
she has low resting heart rate at home and she has a
strong, smooth gait with lots of reach and pretty good
(though not perfect) conformation. She has a lot of
energy and a lot of heart. But this was my first ride
and her first ride, so it is difficult to say exactly
how good she is, but I definitely think she could have
done better with more experience. For example, her
heart rate dropped down within the required times
throughout the ride, but it was still quite a bit
higher than her resting heart rate at home because she
was gawking around at all the other horses and in
general pretty hyped about all the new stuff to see.
Also, I feel she was not in top condition because of
time constraints before the ride and the fact that she
was not my own horse. I really think that gaited
horses can be successful at endurance, but you must
also select horses from within the breed that are best
suited for long distances. Meaning don't just look at
it as a "gaited horse" but also as a horse suitable
for endurance, including looking at its conformation,
low resting heart rate, a longer,leaner look (not
heavily muscled)...
Lysane
--- Ridecamp Digest <ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote: